About Me

My photo
I'm an aspiring writer, and I am who I am. Loud, annoying, thoughtful, absentminded, well-intentioned, and struggling for my place in the world. I'm a believer, a thinker, a dreamer, and an aspiring writer. If you like it, wonderful. If you don't, I don't care. God makes men what they are. Who am I to argue with God?

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

political frustrations

The more I think about it, the more I realize that George Washington was right. Political parties suck. Some of my friends used to consider me one of the most politically passionate people out there, but I grow weary of American politics. Our political process has been reduced to catering to special interest groups and lobbyists who care about nothing other than pushing their agenda.


What happened to "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country?" Everyone is asking for a hand out. Everyone is looking for someone to make life easier for them. Republicans, Democrats, it's all the same. Just different special interest groups to cater to while the needs of the country are ignored.


I am so sick of these petty politics getting in the way of what our country needs to do. I find myself agreeing with the right more often than the left, but I don't know if I really consider myself a Republican anymore. I don't think a Republican president has really stood for what I believe in since Ronald Reagan.


So I think I’m gonna follow Wendell Berry’s lead. I’ll denounce the Government and embrace the flag. I’ll watch the news with a hope that someday things will change, and these petty groups will think about the welfare of the nation instead of their own agendas. Maybe all it takes is one unselfish person to create a ripple, to spark others into working for something greater than themselves. Jesus did it. Ghandi did it. I have to believe it can happen. I have to believe that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment