About Me

My photo
I'm an aspiring writer, and I am who I am. Loud, annoying, thoughtful, absentminded, well-intentioned, and struggling for my place in the world. I'm a believer, a thinker, a dreamer, and an aspiring writer. If you like it, wonderful. If you don't, I don't care. God makes men what they are. Who am I to argue with God?

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Leaving My Heart in the City of Dreaming Spires

I am sitting at my kitchen table in my house at oxford for the last time, wishing a great number of things. I wish that I had worked more on this blog, that I had managed my time better at Oxford, that I had gotten more involved with student life here, that I had gotten more involved at church, that I had been to more of the museums and plays and concerts, that I had saved more money for my trip, that I had read more, that I had spent more time on my papers, that I gotten Liverpool tickets, that I had done countless other things here, but they all really boil down to one regret: I wish that I was coming back for next semester. I understand that is something that I couldn't do from the get go, but it doesn't lessen the blow of having to return to America. My friend Sarah said yesterday that she was just now remembering what we were retuning to and she was not necessarily looking forward to: "I forgot how ugly everything is in America! And everyone's so fat!"

I don't know that I agree with her on the whole. I don't think America is all necessarily ugly, and it certainly has its positives. I have missed several things: netflix, water fountains, family, friends, biscuits, pancakes, and several other things. At the same time, I feel a lot like all those fictional characters who stumble into another world like Narnia or Albion, finding their own world falling short of this vibrant new one that they must now leave. It will be good to go home and see everyone for christmas, but I am leaving a piece of my heart here in City of Dreaming Spires. I will miss several things here too. Goodbye pubs and pub food, local English beer, and watching the matches with Simon. Goodbye Oxford libraries, the tutorial system, the Warners, and both of my wonderful tutors. Goodbye Eagle and Child, Folly Bridge Inn, and the White Horse. Good bye pound land, primark, British public transportation, free museums, and George and Danvers. Good bye cathedrals, meadows, and all the beautiful architecture that will no longer adorn my walks to class. I hope to return to you someday. Meanwhile, it's off to London, Spain, and Switzerland before my final journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment